Food and beverage testing
We play an integral role in keeping food safe for Queenslanders. We work with public and environmental health units throughout the state analysing food and beverages for harmful pathogens, toxins and contaminants. The chemical analysis of food and beverages ensures the safety and security of the consumables that are prepared, marketed, sold and consumed in Australia.
Our services include:
- investigating bacteria, viruses and toxins that cause foodborne illness outbreaks in Queensland
- conducting surveillance and national reporting of foodborne disease outbreaks
- analysing and identifying microorganisms that cause food spoilage
- ensuring that nutritional labelling is correct and country-of-origin claims are true
- providing nutritional labelling advice for novel foods and beverages
- investigating alleged counterfeit, adulterated or mislabelled products
- identifying animal, seafood and plant species to ensure authenticity of products
- identifying genetically modified organisms (GMOs) present in food products
- testing for the presence of allergens including gluten, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts etc.
- analysing food and beverage products for the presence of undeclared or not permitted preservatives, chemicals and toxins
- testing for the presence of chemicals, toxins and biotoxins such as ciguatera and histamines in fish
- identifying the nature and source of foreign matter
- identifying the cause of off-flavours and odours in food and beverages
- testing for radioactivity in foods.
Suspected foodborne illness
If you suspect a foodborne illness, please see your doctor who will report it to your local public health unit.
Food security, standards and certification
If you have any concerns about suspect food packaging, contamination, allergens or incorrect nutritional claims, please report these to your local public health unit.
For commercial clients needing certification on their products, we can identify species, perform production process testing and confirm product authentication etc. Contact us to discuss your testing requirements.
Report a food safety issue.
Need more information?
- Foodborne disease—Queensland Health
- Consumer food standards—Food Standards Australia and New Zealand
- OzFoodNet—The Department of Health
Contact the Client Services and Liaison for assistance.
Phone 1800 000 377 (Monday-Friday 8am - 5pm)
Post PO Box 594, Archerfield Qld 4108
Location 39 Kessels Road, Coopers Plains Qld 4108
Public Health Property Point (Monday-Friday 7am - 3.30pm)
Forensic Property Point (Monday-Friday 8am - 4pm)