Chiropractic radiography Use Licence
The chiropractic industry uses X-ray equipment to perform diagnostic radiography.
The use of radiation sources to carry out a radiation practice is regulated under the Radiation Safety Act 1999 to minimise the risks associated with radiation.
Know which form you need?
This page contains the following chiropractic radiography Use Licence application forms:
- Application for diagnostic radiography licence to use X-ray equipment as a chiropractor (PDF 1527 kB)
- Application for a licence to use a radiation source (PDF 1708 kB)
If you are unsure which form/s you need to complete, including the required supporting documentation, please read on.
Who needs this licence?
You will need this licence if you seek to use X-ray equipment for chiropractic diagnostic radiography.
People using X-ray equipment for chiropractic radiography are usually chiropractors.
You will need to be qualified to perform:
- diagnostic radiography of the spine and pelvis
- diagnostic radiography of the spine, pelvis and extremities.
Responsibilities of a Use Licensee
As part of your responsibilities as a Use Licensee you will need to:
- only use a radiation source for the practice described in your Use Licence
- only use a radiation source if the Possession Licensee has specified that you may
- comply with the Possession Licensee’s approved Radiation Safety and Protection Plan for the radiation practice and your individual responsibilities detailed in it.
You are required to comply with Radiation Safety Act 1999 and the Code of Practice for Radiation Protection in the Application of Ionizing Radiation by Chiropractors (2009)
Apply for a chiropractic radiography Use Licence
Application for diagnostic radiography licence to use X-ray equipment as a chiropractor (PDF 1527 kB)
Use this form if you are a chiropractor seeking a licence to use X-ray equipment for diagnostic radiography.
Use this form if you are unable to complete any aspect of the above Application for diagnostic radiography licence to use X-ray equipment as a chiropractor using the dropdown selections available within the form.
NOTE: This includes if your qualifications or training do not appear in the relevant dropdown list.
Required documents for application:
- 2 proof of identity documents
- a certified copy of your qualifications
- evidence of your experience using the radiation source.
Required training and competency
You will need to demonstrate that you have undergone both theoretical and practical training using the radiation source safely and effectively for the type of radiation procedure.
Evidence of these competencies will depend on your individual education and experience but is commonly achieved via:
- educational institutions with suitable training programs—offering theoretical and practical hands-on competencies as a part of the course
- practical hands-on experience under a licensed supervisor—who provides a statement certifying that you have completed sufficient practical training and are competent to perform the radiation procedure.
A Use Licence can be for 1, 2 or 3 years.
Renewal applications can be made 60 days before your licence expires. You will be sent a reminder and a renewal application form before your licence expires.
You will need to pay a licence fee. If you do not hold a current licence you will also need to pay an application fee.
See schedule of fees to determine the fee you will need to pay. Your form will only be considered a complete application once payment has been made.