Dental Use Licence
The dental industry uses radiation equipment for a range of radiation services, including:
- intra-oral radiography
- extra-oral radiography
- hard and soft tissue laser procedures.
The use of radiation sources to carry out a radiation practice is regulated under the Radiation Safety Act 1999 to minimise the risks associated with radiation. This includes radiation equipment used for dental services.
Dental radiation sources include:
- X-ray equipment
- laser equipment.
Know which form you need?
This page contains the following Use Licence for a radiation source for dental purposes application forms:
- Application for a Licence to Use a Radiation Apparatus - Dental Practitioner or Dental Assistant (PDF 951 kB)
If you are unsure which form/s you need to complete, including the required supporting documentation, please read on.
Who needs this licence?
You will need this licence if you seek to use a radiation source for a dental service.
People using radiation in the dental industry include:
- dental assistants
- dental hygienists
- dental students
- oral surgeons
- oral health therapists.
Registered dentists do not need to apply for a licence to use intra-oral dental X-ray equipment. In Queensland, if you are a registered dentist you hold a deemed licence under Radiation Safety Act 1999.
Responsibilities of a Use Licensee
As part of your responsibilities as a Use Licensee you will need to:
- only use a radiation source for the practice described in your Use Licence
- only use a radiation source if the Possession Licensee has specified that you may
- comply with the Possession Licensee’s approved Radiation Safety and Protection Plan for the radiation practice and your individual responsibilities detailed in it.
You are required to comply with Radiation Safety Act 1999 and the Code of Practice for Radiation Protection in Dentistry (2005).
Apply for a dental radiation Use Licence
Application for a Licence to Use a Radiation Apparatus - Dental Practitioner or Dental Assistant (PDF 951 kB)
Use this form if you seek a licence to use laser or X-ray equipment for a dental radiation purpose.
Your application needs to include:
- 2 proof of identity documents
- a certified copy of your qualifications (for example, a degree, professional recognition)
- evidence of your experience using the radiation source
- evidence of your enrolment and training (for students).
Required training and competency
You will need to demonstrate that you have undergone both theoretical and practical training using the radiation source safely and effectively for the type of radiation service.
Evidence of these competencies will depend on your individual education and experience but is commonly achieved via:
- educational institutions with suitable training programs—offering theoretical and practical hands-on competencies as a part of the course
- practical hands-on experience under a licensed supervisor—who provides a statement certifying that you have completed sufficient practical training and are competent to perform the radiation service.
A Use Licence can be for 1, 2 or 3 years.
Renewal applications can be made 60 days before your licence expires. You will be sent a reminder and a renewal application form before your licence expires.
You will need to pay a licence fee. If you do not hold a current licence you will also need to pay an application fee.
See schedule of fees to determine the fee you will need to pay. Your form will only be considered a complete application once payment has been made.