Queensland Health Mental Health Scholarship Scheme
Mental Health Scholarship Scheme (MHSS) applications open at 8:00am on 14 October 2019 for the 2020 study year.
If you wish to be contacted when applications open, please email email@example.com to be added to the mailing list.
The scheme targets Nursing and Allied Health clinicians who work closely with people with mental illness, who wish to develop mental health competencies through post graduate studies. Studies aimed at enhancing the delivery of recovery-oriented consumer focussed services, increasing confidence and job satisfaction, and opportunities for career development.
The MHSS provides financial assistance for completion of approved post graduate level university studies in mental health clinical practice that will enhance the capability of clinical staff working closely with people with mental illness.
Scholarships are awarded to Queensland Health clinical staff working closely with people with mental illness who are:
- permanent or temporary Queensland Health allied health and nursing clinicians currently working closely with people with mental illness
- clinical staff who are citizens of Australia or New Zealand* (*New Zealand citizens living in Australia under the Special Category Visa [sub class 444])
- clinical staff who have permanent residency in Australia.
The closing date for applications is Monday 25 November at 5:00pm, applications received after this time will not be accepted under any circumstances.
Before commencing the application:
- you are required to read the Guidelines for Applicants
- you are required to familiarise yourself with the Selection Criteria questions
- you are required to familiarise yourself with the two policies that form part of the
- you will require details of your past qualifications, your current study plans [including university course and number of units/subjects you plan to study]
- you will require details of your current line manager’s email address and telephone number
- when above steps are complete, please click on the link below to begin your application.
Financial and study assistance
All scholarship applicants are to advise the proposed study load in the application form. This study load determines the amount of scholarship funding available, up to $1,000 per unit/subject for successful (passing grade or above) completion of study in 2020, with a maximum scholarship value capped at $5,000, per individual, per calendar year. This is to ensure the maximum number of scholarships are awarded.
Scholarship recipients who will not complete their program of study in one year must re-apply for a scholarship in the second year of study. *Additional scholarships are not guaranteed. There are more applications received than scholarships available, consequently all applicants are required to submit high quality applications to compete. Scholarships will be awarded to the applicants who best demonstrate how the required criteria has been met.
- Courses that lead to credentialing in mental health nursing.
- Post graduate studies in sub specialities of mental health practice e.g. Child and youth, dual diagnosis, older person’s mental health, addiction, perinatal and infant and forensic studies.
- Allied health clinicians and registered nurses undertaking approved postgraduate studies in mental health.
- Courses/programs that enhance advanced mental health clinical practice in all health care professionals (allied health and registered nurses).
Applications will close at 5:00pm Monday 25 November 2019, applications received after this time will not be accepted under any circumstances.
Information for current recipients to claim reimbursements
Claims will be accepted from recipients after the completion of semesters 1, 2 and 3. This will also include any study completed in trimesters 1, 2 or 3.
Claims for each semester/trimester must be finalised within 60 days of completion of the unit/subject. Claims submitted outside of this timeframe will not be considered.
Recipients will need to complete the following, in order to claim reimbursement for study.
- Download, complete, print and sign the MHSS claim form - original signed form only accepted.
- Obtain a receipt for fees paid from the education institution or HECS statement showing deferment – original document only accepted
- Provide a copy of the transcript of results
- Mail all three items
To: Mental Health Scholarship Scheme Coordinator
Queensland Centre for Mental Health Learning
Locked Bag 500
Archerfield Qld 4108
The Mental Health Scholarship Scheme Coordinator will email you when the documents have been received and submitted to the accounts payable department.
Contact for further information
Mental Health Scholarship Scheme Coordinator
Queensland Centre for Mental Health Learning
Locked Bag 500 Archerfield Qld 4108
07 3271 8838
The Queensland Health Mental Health Scholarship Scheme (MHSS) are seeking panel membership from a lived experience representative. The MHSS is a Queensland Government initiative which incentivises health professionals working closely with mental health consumers to upskill by offering scholarship funding for postgraduate studies in mental health clinical practice. The MHSS panel plan to ensure the courses of study selected by applicants considers the consumer perspective and recovery paradigm, representation by people with lived experience is important for this purpose.