Clinical supervision resources for mental health services
Clinical supervision is an important part of what mental health practitioners do. It can improve clinical practice safety, provide opportunities for skill development, and ensure that clinicians receive support. Consequently, it is an important mechanism in the provision of high quality clinical care.
To connect the Queensland Health mental health workforce to the skills and tools required for effective clinical supervision, the Queensland Centre for Mental Health Learning (Learning Centre) offers three clinical supervision workshops and have compiled here a range of tools, templates, literature, useful links, guidelines and policies.
These resources are used and referenced in the three clinical supervision workshops offered by the Learning Centre:
- QC8 Best Practice Models of Supervision
- QC4 Supervisor
- QC12 Supervising Supervisors
View the online calendar to check course dates in your Hospital and Health Service (HHS).
The workshops and resources may be useful to both supervisees and clinical supervisors in their practice. Mental health workforces in other locations wanting to implement quality clinical supervision practices may also find the information and resources useful.
The Clinical Supervision Guidelines
The Queensland Health Clinical Supervision Guidelines for Mental Health Services (pdf 406Kb) 2009 edition (the Guidelines) provide a standardised, generic and flexible state wide approach to clinical supervision for all mental health professionals involved in mental health service delivery. The Guidelines recognise that clinical supervision is central to promoting the personal and professional development of the Queensland Health mental health workforce.
Note: Clinical Supervision Guidelines for Mental Health Services 2009 is currently undergoing review by content experts assigned by the Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Branch. Access to the updated version will be made available when endorsed.
Templates and tools
The following resources have been compiled to assist supervisees and supervisors with documentation and processes related to clinical supervision. Instructions for their use are provided in our training courses listed above.
They are made available here for you to download and use in your own service.
- Clinical supervision agreement (word 78Kb)
- Reflective clinical supervision report (word 38Kb)
- Record of supervision meetings (word 35Kb)
- Supervision goal and task plan (word 35 Kb)
- Self-assessment of supervisor competencies (word 127Kb)
- Supervisory working alliance inventory - supervisor version (word 71Kb)
- Supervisory working alliance inventory - supervisee version (word 62Kb)
- Supervisee preparedness for supervision scale - supervisor version (word 55Kb)
- Supervisee preparedness for supervision scale - supervisee version (word 56Kb)
- Leeds alliance in supervision scale (word 35Kb)
- Evaluation process within supervision inventory (word 60Kb)
- Supervision outcomes survey (word 60Kb)
Other useful forms:
- Agenda for supervision session (word 38Kb)
- Individual development plan for clinical supervision (word 35Kb)
Please be aware of the professional code of practice for clinical supervision as relevant to your professional discipline and membership.
Reminder: the process for Queensland Health Employees when making ethical decisions:
- apply Department of Health Code of Conduct for the Queensland Public Service as the first priority
- the HHS specific policy follows (refer to your HHS HR webpage)
- then apply the appropriate Professional code, for example:
For more information on Learning Centre Supervision training programs and resources or to provide feedback please contact:
Ph: 3271 8837