What is Social Work?
The domain of Social Work in health focuses on the relationship between the social context and the consequences of health, illness and disability (Australian Association of Social Workers, 2008a, p.8).
Social Work in the Spinal Injuries Unit
Social Workers in the Spinal Injuries Unit:
- Undertake psychosocial assessments and deliver therapeutic interventions
- Lead discharge planning and the navigation of complex internal and external systems
- Advocate and negotiate on behalf of patients and their families within the hospital system, statutory institutions and other relevant agencies to optimise their outcomes and contribute to lifelong health and well-being.
- Provide case management services
- Work within the interdisciplinary team to enhance patient’s outcomes.