Department of Health strategic plan
The Department of Health Strategic Plan 2019–2023 (PDF 954kB) is a core planning document for the department.
It outlines the department's strategies for supporting the health and wellbeing of all Queenslanders.
To provide leadership and direction, and to work collaboratively to enable the health system to deliver quality services that are safe and responsive for Queenslanders.
The Department of Health's role includes:
- providing strategic leadership and direction for health through development and administration of policies and legislation
- developing statewide plans for health services, workforce and major capital investment
- managing major capital works for public sector health service facilities
- commissioning health services from our public hospitals, partner providers and the Non-Government Organisation (NGO) sector
- supporting and monitoring the quality, efficiency, effectiveness and timeliness of health service delivery
- delivering a range of specialised health services, including prevention, promotion and protection, providing ambulance, aeromedical, health information and communication technology and statewide health support services
- operating as part of a networked system, and exemplifying this in the way we engage on all system-affecting matters with Hospital and Health Services (HHSs), Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) and other partners.
Hospital and Health Services are independent statutory agencies responsible for their own strategic plans.
Our strategic objectives
- Promote and protect the health of Queenslanders where they live, work and play
- Drive the safest and highest quality services possible
- Drive equitable health outcomes by supporting access to appropriate health services for all Queenslanders
- Pursue partnerships with consumers, communities, health and other organisations to help achieve our goals
- Empower consumers and health professionals through the availability and use of data and digital innovations
- Support the delivery of sustainable health services through integrated policy, planning, funding and implementation efforts
- Inspire the Department's workforce to achieve excellence and drive a vibrant culture and safe workplace environment
Previous strategic plans
- Department of Health Strategic Plan 2019–2023 (2019 update) (PDF 1.24MB)
- Department of Health strategic plan 2016–2020 (2018 update) (PDF 902kB)
- Department of Health Strategic plan 2016-2020 (2017 update) (PDF 752kB)
- Department of Health Strategic plan 2016-2020 (PDF 819kB)
- Department of Health Strategic plan 2014-2018 (2015 update)
- Department of Health strategic plan 2014-2018
- Department of Health strategic plan 2012–2016 (2013 update)