Department of Health strategic plan
The Department of Health strategic plan 2016–2020 (2016 update) (PDF, 708KB) is a core planning document for the department.
It outlines the department's strategies for supporting the health and wellbeing of all Queenslanders.
The 2016 update of the strategic plan ensures we are responsive in our role of managing the public health system in Queensland.
To provide leadership and direction, and to work collaboratively to ensure the health system to deliver quality services that are safe and responsive for Queenslanders.
The Department of Health's role include:
- providing strategic leadership and direction for health through the development of policies, legislation and regulations
- developing statewide plans for health services, workforce and major capital investment
- managing major capital works for public sector health service facilities
- purchasing health service delivery
- supporting and monitoring the quality of health service delivery
- delivering specialised health services, providing ambulance, health information and communication technology and statewide health support services.
Hospital and Health Services are independent statutory agencies responsible for their own strategic plans.
Our strategic objectives
- Supporting Queenslanders to be healthier: promoting and protecting the health of Queenslanders
- Enabling safe, quality services: delivering and enabling safe, clinically effective, high quality health services
- Equitable health outcomes: improving health outcomes through better access to services for Queenslanders
- High performance: responsive, dynamic and accountable management of the department, and of funding and service performance
- Dynamic policy leadership: drive service improvement and innovation through a collaborative policy cycle
- Broad engagement with partners: harnessing the skill and knowledge of our partners
- Engaged and productive workforce: foster a culture that is vibrant, innovative and collaborative
Emergency department care during the winter months 2016
New initiatives are being introduced in 2016 to enable these pressures include
- congested emergency departments
- instances of ambulance ramping
- delays in patients being moved off ambulance times.
These initiatives constitute the Winter Beds Strategy, a key component of Queensland Health’s broader commitment to improve access to emergency care.
Download the Winter Beds Strategy 2016 plan.
Previous strategic plan