Health service planning
The Department of Health is responsible for statewide health service planning for the public health system and monitoring of system performance against those plans and strategies.
Statewide health service plans or strategies guide further planning at the Department of Health and Hospitals and Health Services (HHSs) level.
Health service planning aims to improve health service delivery and/or system performance to better meet the health need of a population. It comprises the process of aligning the delivery of existing health services to meet the changing patterns of need and use of services. This aims to make the most effective use of available and future health resources (funding, staff and infrastructure).
Health service planning is future orientated and usually adopts a medium-long term (10–15 years) perspective supporting healthcare providers to respond to:
- health improvement for targeted populations
- increasing or changing demand for health services
- improved health service delivery models
- emerging trends in health service delivery
- new policy initiatives and directions.
Statewide health service plans and strategies are based on the health needs of people who use Queensland public health services and may be targeted towards a:
- specific geographical area (e.g. statewide, south east Queensland)
- particular population group (e.g. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples)
- specific clinical or service stream/s (e.g. diabetes services).
Plans and strategies
- Statewide adult brain injury rehabilitation health service plan 2016-2026
- Statewide adult spinal cord injury health service plan 2016-2026
- End-of-life care statewide strategy 2015:
- Adult intensive care services statewide health service strategy 2013
- Bowen, Galilee and Surat Basins Health Services Plan 2011–2021 Summary
- Cancer care statewide health service strategy 2014
- Cardiac Services Strategy for Coronary Heart Disease, Heart Failure and Rheumatic Heart Disease for Queensland 2005–2015
- Diabetes Services Statewide Health Service Strategy 2013
- Queensland Health Dementia Framework 2010–2014
- Queensland Health disability service plan 2014–2016
- Queensland Statewide Renal Health Services Plan, 2008–17, Part 1: The Way Forward
- Respiratory medicine statewide health service strategy 2014
Rural and remote
- Queensland Rural and Remote Health Service Framework June 2014
- Rural and Remote Health Service Planning Process June 2013
- Remote Health Project—Guidelines for planning health services in remote communities 2012–13
Multipurpose health service
- Multipurpose Health Service fact sheet
- Operational guidelines for multipurpose health services
- Self-appraisal tool for identifying possible Multipurpose Health Service sites
For more information email email@example.com.