Health service and system planning
The Department of Health is responsible for statewide health service planning for the public health system and monitoring of system performance against those plans and strategies.
Statewide health service plans or strategies guide further planning at the Department of Health and Hospitals and Health Services (HHSs) level.
Health service planning aims to improve health service delivery and/or system performance to better meet the health need of a population. It comprises the process of aligning the delivery of existing health services to meet the changing patterns of need and use of services. This aims to make the most effective use of available and future health resources (funding, staff and infrastructure).
Health service planning is future orientated and usually adopts a medium-long term (10–15 years) perspective supporting healthcare providers to respond to:
- health improvement for targeted populations
- increasing or changing demand for health services
- improved health service delivery models
- emerging trends in health service delivery
- new policy initiatives and directions.
Statewide health service plans and strategies are based on the health needs of people who use Queensland public health services and may be targeted towards a:
- specific geographical area (e.g. statewide, south east Queensland)
- particular population group (e.g. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples)
- specific clinical or service stream/s (e.g. diabetes services).
The Planning Portal provides interactive dashboards and reports for Queensland Hospital and Health Services:
- demographics - Queensland population
- socio-economic disadvantage
- risk and protective adults and children
Plans and strategies
- System Outlook to 2026 for a sustainable health system
- Statewide neonatal care plan (PDF 1191 kB)
- Statewide plan for children's and young people's health services to 2026 (PDF 590 kB)
- Statewide adult brain injury rehabilitation health service plan 2016-2026 (PDF 1252 kB)
- Statewide adult spinal cord injury health service plan 2016-2026 (PDF 532 kB)
- End-of-life care statewide strategy 2015:
- Adult intensive care services statewide health service strategy 2013
- Diabetes Services Statewide Health Service Strategy 2013
- Respiratory medicine statewide health service strategy 2014
- Cancer care statewide health service strategy 2014
Multipurpose health service
- Multipurpose Health Service fact sheet
- Operational guidelines for multipurpose health services
- Self-appraisal tool for identifying possible Multipurpose Health Service sites
Health service planning guide
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.