Spinal and lower limb orthoses
Subsidy funding is available under the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) to support eligible Queenslanders who require spinal and lower limb orthoses.
- Hip knee ankle foot orthoses (HKAFO)
- Ankle foot orthoses (AFO)
- Knee orthoses (KO)
- Cervical orthoses (CO)
- Thoracic-lumbo-sacral orthoses (TLSO)
- Cervico-thoraco-lumbo-sacral orthoses (CTLSO)
- approved modifications and components that are part of the current prescription.
MASS does not subsidise
- Prostheses for upper and/or lower limbs - contact Queensland Artificial Limb Service (QALS)
- Pressure garments/surgical stockings for oedema, circulatory control, scar management, postural support and neurological control
- Reciprocating gait orthoses (rgos) or equivalent mobility items
- Surgical corsets
- Cervical collars
- Foot orthoses - insoles, inserts, arch supports, heel cushions, heel cups when not included with an application for medical grade footwear
- Upper limb orthoses
- Cranial orthoses
- Thoraco-lumbo-sacral-hip-knee-ankle-foot support or equivalent (parapodium standing frame)
- Hip abduction orthoses
- Stock "sports type" guards (eg. For knee, ankle, wrist, elbow)
- Knee immobiliser (eg. Richard Depuy)
- Patella bands.
- Private orthopaedic surgeons
- Medical specialists in rheumatology, rehabilitation, geriatrics and neurology
How to prescribe
Specific eligibility, application and documentation requirements are provided in both the MASS General Guidelines (PDF, 474kB) and Application Guidelines for Orthoses (PDF, 476kB). Applicants should seek a referral to an orthotist approved by MASS for a medical prescription and quotation to include with their application form. As part of determining clinical eligibility, a photograph of the applicant wearing the orthoses is required. The prescriber then works with the applicant to complete and submit the application form. Re-applications for subsidy funding must be 12 months from the last approval for adults (16 years and older) and 9 months for children (under 16 years).
Application guidelines (including current subsidy amounts)
- Application Guidelines for Orthoses (PDF, 476kB)
- MASS 60 - Orthoses Application Form (PDF, 578kB)
- MASS 60 - Orthotist Information Form Appendix (PDF, 120kB)
- MASS 82 - MGF/Orthoses Photographic Consent Form (PDF, 150kB)
- MASS 70 - Acquittal Form (PDF, 153kB)
Resources for clinicians
- Prescribing MASS Funded Orthoses (PDF, 860kB) - a presentation outlining function, language and commonly prescribed orthoses
- Glossary of terms
Advice and clinical support
Contact the MASS Principal Medical Advisor for Orthoses.