Financial subsidies are available under the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) to support eligible Queenslanders who require medical-grade pre-fabricated, custom-made and customised medical-grade footwear.
- Private orthopaedic surgeons
- Vascular surgeons
- Medical specialists in rheumatology, rehabilitation, geriatrics, endocrinology and neurology
How to prescribe
Specific eligibility, application and documentation requirements are provided in both the MASS General Guidelines (PDF 460 kB) and relevant application guidelines. Applicants should seek a referral to a medical-grade footwear supplier approved by MASS for a medical prescription and quotation to include with their application form. As part of determining clinical eligibility, a photograph of the applicant wearing the footwear is required. The prescriber then works with the applicant to complete and submit their application form. Re-applications for subsidy funding must be 18 months from the last approval for adults (16 years and older) and 12 months for children (under 16 years).
- MASS 60 - Medical-Grade Footwear Application Form (PDF 1036 kB)
- MASS 82 - MGF/Orthoses Photographic Consent Form (PDF 787 kB)
- MASS Medical-Grade Footwear Program (2011) (PDF 799 kB) – Presentation illustrating fabricated, customised and custom made medical-grade footwear
- MASS Prescription Footwear and Associated Modifications (PDF 764 kB) – Presentation illustration types of prescription footwear