Subsidy funding is available under the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) to support eligible Queenslanders who require daily living and mobility aids.
Available mobility aids
- Infant/child seated mobility aids
- Manual and power wheelchairs and accessories/modifications
- Wheeled walking aids
- Foam and pressure redistribution - Wheelchair Cushions
Occupational therapists, physiotherapists and rehabilitation engineers are eligible to prescribe. In rural and remote areas, a registered nurse can prescribe (with designated specialist endorsement).
Specific eligibility, application and documentation requirements are provided in the MASS General Guidelines (PDF 248 kB) (currently being reviewed due to NDIS and NIIS) and application guidelines relevant to the type of aid. Prescribers conduct specialist assessments to determine the aids and equipment needs of clients. Prescribers can access MASS stock equipment for a maximum two week trial if they intend to prescribe the aid for an eligible client.
Once a suitable device has been selected, prescribers work with the client to complete and submit the MASS 20 DLA/MOB - Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Application Form (PDF 1512 kB) and the Application Form specific to the type of device.
Mobility aid application guidelines (including current subsidy amounts)
Mobility aid resources
- Equipment Services Application Process Flowchart (PDF 27 kB)
- Equipment Services Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 334 kB)
- Power Assist Matrix (XLS 84 kB)
- Supporting Information Power Assist (PDF 317 kB)
Mobility aid application forms
- MASS 20 DLA/MOB - Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Application Form (PDF 1512 kB)
- MASS 82 - Consent for Photograph/Video Form (PDF 158 kB)
- MASS 20 WWA - Wheeled Walking Aid Short Application Form (PDF 1776 kB)
- MASS 24 - Home Access Checklist for Power Wheelchairs (PDF 454 kB)
- MASS28 - Standing Wheelchair Checklist (under review)
- Standing Wheelchair Subsidy Funding Declaration (PDF 144 kB)
Equipment letter templates
- Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Letter Template Brisbane (PDF 728 kB)
- Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Letter Template Townsville (PDF 728 kB)
MASS WAREHOUSE STOCK (Updated weekly)
- MASS 26 - Request to Trial MASS Stock Equipment (PDF 710 kB)
- Process for requesting MASS stock equipment trial (PDF 127 kB)
- Stock Reallocation Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 304 kB)
- Brisbane Stocklist (XLS 133 kB)
- Brisbane Powerdrive Stocklist (XLS 68 kB)
- Townsville Stocklist (XLS 60 kB)
- MASS is currently trialling new generic script forms as part of a process improvement initiative in relation to the MASS stock trial and selection processes. These forms can be completed and submitted by prescribers in addition to the current MASS 26 trial form. The script forms allow prescribers to specify the mobility aids set up and configuration to optimise the success of the stock trial.
Advice and clinical support
For clinical advice and support when prescribing mobility aids, please contact the relevant MASS Principal Aids Advisor.