The Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) provides a mix of concentrator and oxygen cylinder packages to support eligible Queensland adults and children who require home oxygen.
MASS provides subsidies for standard oxygen packages in the form of cylinders and/or concentrators, with supplementary packages of portable and backup cylinders for eligible applicants.
MASS does not subsidise
- oxygen required solely for the purpose of nebulising
- portable oxygen required for community access, except in special circumstances
- oxygen for dyspnoea without hypoxaemia
- oxygen for new or previously approved clients who are current smokers.
- Initial applications and re-applications can be prescribed by the following specialists: thoracic physician; specialist physician; oncologist; palliative care physician; respiratory nurse practitioner (with designated specialist endorsement).
- For patients in rural and remote areas, a general practitioner can prescribe (with designated specialist endorsement).
How to prescribe
Specific eligibility, application and documentation requirements are provided in both the MASS General Guidelines (PDF 435 kB) and Application Guidelines for Oxygen (PDF 288 kB). To be eligible, clients must not be receiving oxygen through a local health service or Home Care Package. The prescriber will work with the applicant and their family to complete and submit either an adult or paediatric Application Form. For ongoing oxygen subsidised by MASS, reassessment and reapplication are required. After the initial supply:
- adults need to be re-assessed after four months and then every 12 months
- children under six years need to be re-assessed every six months
- children aged between six and 15 years need to be re-assessed after six months, and then every 12 months.
MASS must receive completed re-application forms two weeks before the finish date to ensure the oxygen subsidy continues. The prescriber must ensure, in consultation with the oxygen supplier and visiting domiciliary nursing or community health service, that the applicant/carer is adequately instructed in the safe handling and use of oxygen and oxygen equipment. All clients should also have a Power Failure Emergency Plan.
Application guidelines (including current subsidy amounts)
- MASS 45 - Adult Oxygen Initial and 4 Month Application Form (PDF 906 kB)
- MASS 46 - Adult Oxygen Annual Re-Application Form (PDF 793 kB)
- MASS 47 - Child & Paediatric Oxygen Application Form (PDF 946 kB)
- MASS 48 - Home Oxygen Power Failure Emergency Plan (PDF 172 kB)
- Handbook for Home Oxygen Therapy (PDF 188 kB) - provides useful information for clients who are commencing oxygen therapy
Advice and clinical support
Contact the MASS Principal Medical Advisor – Oxygen.