MASS Palliative Care Syringe Driver Program (MASS PCSDP)
The MASS Palliative Care Syringe Driver Program (MASS PCSDP) is a program administered on behalf of the Department of Health under the Care in the Right Setting (CaRs) initiative.
The program aims to support eligible Queenslanders of all ages with a palliative condition and approaching their end stage of life to remain in their home environment by providing access to a syringe driver for pain relief. This program provides:
- 1 x Bodyguard T Syringe Driver on a loan basis for up to one month.
Guidelines and Eligibility Criteria
- Palliative Care Syringe Driver Program Guidelines (PDF 304 kB)
- Palliative Care Syringe Driver Program Applicant Information Sheet (PDF 165 kB)
The MASS PCSDP Guidelines outline the administrative and clinical eligibility criteria for the program and assists with information on the application process. In general, applicants may be eligible for assistance through the MASS PCSDP if they:
- Are a permanent Queensland resident with a Queensland delivery address;
- Provide a Medicare Card number for purpose of unique identification
- Provide a MASS Palliative Care Syringe Driver Program Confirmation Form (link) signed by palliative care specialist or treating specialist/GP with palliative care specialist consultation.
Application process for Health Professionals
The MASS PCSDP operates through a prescriber model where an application is submitted by an approved healthcare practitioner (allied health / medical / nursing) after consultation with the applicant, family and/or carers.
Prescribers may submit a MASS PCSDP application through MASS-eApply.
- MASS PCSDP Syringe Driver MASS-eApply Application Form
- MASS PCSDP Palliative Confirmation Form (PDF 715 kB)
Extension request process for Health Professionals (NEW)
In the event of an applicant requiring a PCSDP syringe driver past the initial 1 month loan period, a prescriber may submit a program extension request to MASS for assessment. This extension request should be submitted to PCSDP no later than three days prior to the end of the initial supply/loan period.
An eligible prescriber can contact MASS Specialised Services on (07) 3136 3696 to initiate extension request.
Information and Resources
- PallConsult Bodyguard T syringe pump infusions learning package is available from pallconsult.com.au and includes:
- A practical handbook for health professionals: How to safely set-up, commence and provide necessary documentation for Bodyguard T syringe pump infusions
- Online education module: (https://www.caresearch.com.au/portals/10/Modules/Captivate/NIKI-T34/index.html) The online education module teaches health professionals about how to safely use the Bodyguard T syringe pump
- Setting up and commencing a Boduguard T syringe pump infusion with a new syringe: A step-by-step guide
- Three short training videos illustrating some of the essential elements for ensuring safe delivery of NIKI T34TM syringe pump infusions:
- Competency checklist: Bodyguard T syringe pump
Palliative Care Syringe Driver Program Locations
- Cairns Region
- Central West Region
- Darling Downs and South West Region
- St George
- Mackay Region
- North West Region
- Julia Creek
- Mornington island
- Mt Isa
- Torres Strait and Cape Region
- Thursday Island
- Townsville Region
- Charters Towers
- Palm Island
- West Moreton Region