Daily living aids
Subsidy funding is available under the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) to support eligible Queenslanders who require daily living aids.
Available daily living aids
- Non standard bathboards (raised/backrest/extended and/or padded only)
- Static commodes
- Bath transfer benches/swivel bathseat/bath hoist or other item of equipment which achieves the same function
- Mobile floor hoists and slings; mobile shower commode, and necessary accessories and/or modifications
- Pressure redistribution mattresses
- Sleep positioning systems
Occupational therapists, physiotherapists and rehabilitation engineers are eligible to prescribe. In rural and remote areas, a registered nurse can prescribe (with designated specialist endorsement).
How to prescribe
Specific eligibility, application and documentation requirements are provided in the MASS General Guidelines (PDF, 474kB) and application guidelines relevant to the type of aid. Prescribers conduct specialist assessments to determine the aids and equipment needs of clients. Prescribers can access MASS stock equipment for a maximum two week trial if they intend to prescribe the aid for an eligible client.
Once a suitable device has been selected, prescribers work with the client to complete and submit the MASS 20 DLA/MOB - Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Application Form (PDF, 786kB) and the Application Form specific to the type of device.
Daily living aid application guidelines (including current subsidy amounts)
- Application Guidelines for Bathing and Toileting Aids (PDF, 347kB)
- Application Guidelines for Hoists and Slings (PDF, 343kB)
- Application Guidelines for Pressure Redistribution Mattress/Overlay or Sleep Positioning System (PDF, 343kB)
Daily living application forms
- MASS 20 DLA/MOB - Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Application Form (PDF, 786kB)
- MASS 20 BTA - Application Form for Bathing and Toileting Aids (PDF, 613kB)
- MASS 23 - Specification Form For Non-Standard Bathboards (PDF, 258kB)
- MASS 25 - Hoist and Sling Compatibility Checklist (PDF, 658kB)
- MASS 27 - Ceiling Hoist Checklist (PDF, 387kB)
Equipment letter templates
- Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Letter Template Brisbane (PDF, 85kB)
- Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Letter Template Townsville (PDF, 76kB)