Daily living aids
Subsidy funding is available under the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) to support eligible Queenslanders who require daily living aids.
Available daily living aids
- Non standard bathboards (raised/backrest/extended and/or padded only)
- Static commodes
- Bath transfer benches/swivel bathseat/bath hoist or other item of equipment which achieves the same function
- Mobile floor hoists and slings; mobile shower commode, and necessary accessories and/or modifications
- Pressure redistribution mattresses
- Sleep positioning systems
Occupational therapists, physiotherapists and rehabilitation engineers are eligible to prescribe. In rural and remote areas, a registered nurse can prescribe (with designated specialist endorsement).
How to prescribe
Specific eligibility, application and documentation requirements are provided in the MASS General Guidelines (PDF 460 kB) and application guidelines relevant to the type of aid. Prescribers conduct specialist assessments to determine the aids and equipment needs of clients. Prescribers can access MASS stock equipment for a maximum two week trial if they intend to prescribe the aid for an eligible client.
Once a suitable device has been selected, prescribers work with the client to complete and submit the MASS 20 DLA/MOB - Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Application Form (PDF 1512 kB) and the Application Form specific to the type of device.
Daily living aid application guidelines (including current subsidy amounts)
- Application Guidelines for Bathing and Toileting Aids (PDF 246 kB)
- Application Guidelines for Hoists and Slings (PDF 361 kB)
- Application Guidelines for Pressure Redistribution Mattress/Overlay or Sleep Positioning System (PDF 213 kB)
Daily living aids resources
- Equipment Services Application Process Flowchart (PDF 27 kB)
- Equipment Services Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 334 kB)
Daily living application forms
- MASS 20 DLA/MOB - Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Application Form (PDF 1512 kB)
- MASS 20 BTA - Application Form for Bathing and Toileting Aids (PDF 1375 kB)
- MASS 23 - Specification Form For Non-Standard Bathboards (PDF 202 kB)
- MASS 25 - Hoist and Sling Compatibility Checklist (PDF 693 kB)
- MASS 27 - Ceiling Hoist Checklist (PDF 521 kB)
- Ceiling Hoist Subsidy Funding Declaration (PDF 159 kB)
Equipment letter templates
- Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Letter Template Brisbane (PDF 728 kB)
- Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Letter Template Townsville (PDF 728 kB)
MASS WAREHOUSE STOCK
** COMMENCING 12 October 2020 **
MASS stock is available for allocation by prescribers for eligible applicants. Prescribers may choose a suitable item from the below stock lists, or, contact our offices to discuss available options.
Monday to Friday – tele or video conference available
- Brisbane Warehouse Stocklist (XLSX 53 kB)
- Brisbane Warehouse Mobile Shower Commode Stocklist (XLSX 27 kB)
- Townsville Warehouse Stocklist (XLSX 24 kB)
The MASS warehouses will remain closed to visitors due to COVID-19. Please monitor this website for updates.
- Brisbane – open warehouse on Wednesday and Thursday – CLOSED
- Townsville – open warehouse – CLOSED
Note: return of stock items to the warehouse must be organised by MASS via courier, due to COVID-19 cleaning and infection control requirements.
- MASS 26 - Request to Trial MASS Stock Equipment (PDF 710 kB)
- Process for requesting MASS stock equipment trial (PDF 127 kB)
- Stock Reallocation Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 304 kB)
- MASS is currently trialing new generic script forms as part of a process improvement initiative in relation to the MASS stock trial and selection processes. These forms can be completed and submitted by prescribers in addition to the current MASS 26 trial form. The script forms allow prescribers to specify the mobile shower chairs set up and configuration to optimise the success of the stock trial.