Daily living aids
Subsidy funding is available under the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) to support eligible Queenslanders who require daily living aids.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: MASS Daily Living and Mobility Aids - Holiday Season Repairs.
Available daily living aids
- Non standard bathboards (raised/backrest/extended and/or padded only)
- Static commodes
- Bath transfer benches/swivel bathseat/bath hoist or other item of equipment which achieves the same function
- Mobile floor hoists and slings; mobile shower commode, and necessary accessories and/or modifications
- Pressure redistribution mattresses
- Sleep positioning systems
Occupational therapists, physiotherapists and rehabilitation engineers are eligible to prescribe. In rural and remote areas, a registered nurse can prescribe (with designated specialist endorsement).
How to prescribe
Specific eligibility, application and documentation requirements are provided in the MASS General Guidelines (PDF 460 kB) and application guidelines relevant to the type of aid. Prescribers conduct specialist assessments to determine the aids and equipment needs of clients. Prescribers can access MASS stock equipment for a maximum two week trial if they intend to prescribe the aid for an eligible client.
Once a suitable device has been selected, prescribers work with the client to complete and submit the MASS 20 DLA/MOB - Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Application Form (PDF 1650 kB) and the Application Form specific to the type of device.
Daily living aid application guidelines (including current subsidy amounts)
- Application Guidelines for Bathing and Toileting Aids (PDF 313 kB)
- Application Guidelines for Hoists and Slings (PDF 361 kB)
- Application Guidelines for Pressure Redistribution Support Surfaces (PDF 301 kB)
Daily living aids resources
- Applicant Information Sheet for Daily Living and Mobility Equipment Subsidy Funding (MASS 20) (PDF 241 kB)
- Equipment Services Application Process Flowchart (PDF 108 kB)
- Equipment Services Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 199 kB)
Daily living application forms
MASS-eApply (online applications) is the preferred method of application submission. To register click here or for further information click here. Tutorials on completing MASS-eApply applications can be found here.
- Login to MASS-eApply to complete online Daily Living Aids Applications
- MASS 20 DLA/MOB - Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment Application Form (PDF 1650 kB)
- MASS 23 - Specification Form For Non-Standard Bathboards (PDF 1041 kB)
- MASS 25 - Hoist and Sling Compatibility Checklist (PDF 1069 kB)
- MASS 27 - Ceiling Hoist Checklist (PDF 1087 kB)
- Ceiling Hoist Subsidy Funding Declaration (PDF 1028 kB)
Equipment letter template
MASS WAREHOUSE STOCK
MASS Stock and Warehouse Access
Access to MASS stock for trial and allocation for eligible clients is currently limited to applicants for urgent Hospital discharge (including TCP, PACS), other urgent circumstances on consultation with MASS or where the item/s required by the applicant will result in a large copayment.
Monday to Friday – tele or video conference available
- Brisbane Warehouse Stocklist (XLSX 52 kB)
- Brisbane Warehouse Mobile Shower Commode Stocklist (XLSX 29 kB)
- Townsville Warehouse Stocklist (XLSX 22 kB)
The MASS warehouses will remain closed to visitors due to COVID-19. Please monitor this website for updates.
- Brisbane – open warehouse on Wednesday and Thursday – CLOSED
- Townsville – open warehouse – CLOSED
Note: return of stock items to the warehouse must be organised by MASS via courier, due to COVID-19 cleaning and infection control requirements.
- MASS 26 - Request to Trial MASS Stock Equipment (PDF 1543 kB)
- Process for requesting MASS stock equipment trial (PDF 127 kB)
- Stock Reallocation Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 304 kB)
- MASS may request that a generic script form is submitted by prescribers for daily living aids, in addition to the current MASS 26 trial form. The script forms allow prescribers to specify the mobile shower chairs set up and configuration to optimise the success of the stock trial.
Advice and clinical support
- For clinical advice and support when prescribing daily living aids, please contact the relevant MASS Principal Aids Advisor.
- For advice about frequently prescribed brands/types of MASS approved daily living aids, contact your local MASS service centre.