About the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme
Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme
The Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) provides funding for medical aids and equipment to eligible Queensland residents who have a permanent and stabilised condition or a disability. The scheme helps people to live at home and avoid early or inappropriate residential care or hospitalisation.
Aids and equipment are subsidy funded on a permanent loan basis, through private ownership or the supply of consumables. If you pay for more than 50% of the cost for an item, you can choose to take ownership, rather than having a permanent loan. However, this means that you are responsible for all repairs to that item.
MASS General Guidelines
The MASS General Guidelines (PDF 435 kB) assist prescribers in submitting applications to MASS and are updated regularly to reflect new requirements and eligibility criteria. In general, clients may be eligible for assistance under MASS if they:
- are a permanent resident of Queensland
- have a permanent/stable condition or disability
- hold a pensioner concession card, health care card or Queensland Government Senior Card
- meet specific clinical eligibility criteria relevant to the aid.
Relevant application guidelines and forms for each scheme or aid/equipment provide detailed information regarding eligibility requirements.
Types of aids and equipment
Prescribers should also refer to the relevant application guidelines and forms for each type of aid/equipment:
- communication aids
- continence aids
- daily living and mobility aids
- heat moisture exchangers
- home oxygen
- medical grade footwear
General MASS Prescriber forms
- MASS 83 - Accident and Incident Form (PDF 153 kB) – used by clients/carers to report accidents or incidents involving MASS aids
- MASS 70 - Acquittal Form (PDF 141 kB) – used by supplier, prescriber and applicant for acquittal of aids supplied by MASS
- MASS 81 - Client/Prescriber Satisfaction Feedback Form (PDF 232 kB) – used to provide feedback to MASS
- MASS 82 - Consent for Photograph/Video Form (PDF 158 kB) - used to give consent to photograph/video the applicant using the aid to assist with the application process
- MASS 84 - Proxy Access to Centrelink Information Form (PDF 571 kB) – used to provide consent for MASS staff to access Centrelink concession card information when a photocopy of the concession card is not attached to the MASS application form
- MASS 80 - Supplier Performance Report (PDF 127 kB) – used to submit comments about the performance of a commercial supplier or manufacturer